It’s half past midnight and about 4 minutes before midnight another random, crazy idea of mine picked up momentum : organizing Malaysia’s, or perhaps, South-East Asia’s First Alternative Education (homeschooling, unschooling, deschooling) Convention. Why?
Convention (meeting), a large gathering of people who share a common interest.
I was having a back-and-forth on facebook about – report cards. Those weren’t the highlight of my primary school days but Canteen Day was.
Let’s play with our Imagination a little. [Yes, ee-mah-gee-na-sion!]
Let’s just imagine for a little while. Oblige me, will you ? 🙂
So, let’s say, instead of one localized school canteen day – let’s have a NATIONAL CANTEEN DAY for people who ditch school! And why stop at food? Malaysians are famous for coming together when there’s food – all racial prejudices stop at the sight of Open House. Malaysians are not united in race, religion or politics. We are united in FOOD. Our motto might just be, “In Food We Trust.”
And when there’s a crowd you can always have a party. Let’s use this opportunity when Malaysians come united on one front (yes, food) to illuminate the masses on the alternatives to education.
We’re going to have by our homeschooling/unschooling/deschooling community:
- food stalls (yes, I think I’ve mentioned food 3 times already)
- stalls from parents who run home-businesses / hobbyists
- jumble sale (sale of used items like books, clothing, toys, etc)
- talks (by popular alternative education bloggers) – I have in mind : HomeschoolMalaysia’s Alicia Ling Horseley, Homeschool Home Frontier’s David BC Tan, Learning Beyond Schooling’s Chong Wai Leng and at least a dozen others I don’t have their links off hand. (Readers : Please suggest speakers / writers you’d like to hear their thoughts / presentations on during the convention. Leave a comment with their info, why you would like them to speak (or on what topic) and links to their site. Thank you!)
- Talent Time contests for our unschooled, homeschooled, deschooled kids
- cook-offs / bake-offs
- book sales by homeschooling authors / book signing, magazine subscriptions.
- relevant 3rd party vendors (non-homeschoolers, other businesses)
- NOT TO BE MISSED :
Exhibition : Q & A : Let’s get those pesky questions on h/s and 21st Century Education answered once and for all.
i.e. “Can I send my children to your homeschooling center?”
- Equally important exhibition : breastfeeding, animal welfare education, organic food (for special needs).
Venue : PENANG ISLAND! (Great opportunity for the city-folk to come to Penang.) And we can also organize the matches at the beach on a 2nd day. (I’m thinking 3-day convention over a weekend.)